Accreditation Handbook—Chapter XIV: Standards Development and Implementation
The CAA is pleased to release the revised Standards for Accreditation of Graduate Education Programs in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology [PDF]. All changes became effective August 1, 2017.
The CAA presents the following implementation schedule based on the accreditation status of the program, type of report expected to be filed in 2017, and typical time lines for review and decision.
|Type of Report||2017 Due Date||Standards for Submitting Report||Standards for Decision|
|Annual Report||February 1||2008: Online reporting system will |
open October 1 for February 1
(Initial & Reaccreditation)
|February 1||2008 and 2017: Online reporting|
system will open October 1 for
February 1 submissions.
Programs will address 2008
Standards at that time, but
additional information will be
required by the time of the Fall
2017 site visit to address 2017 Standards.
|Annual Report||August 1||2017: Online reporting system |
will open April 1 for August 1 submission.
|Accreditation Application||August 1||2017: Online reporting system will |
open April 1 for August 1 submission.
|Annual Progress Report||February 1||2008||2008|
|Annual Progress Report||August 1||2017||2017|
|Application for Candidacy Status||Beginning January 1, 2017||2017||2017|
- Side-by-Side Comparison 2017 [PDF] of changes approved in July 2017 for non-discrimination and student outcome data related standards
- Side-by-Side Comparison [PDF] of the 2017 and current 2008 standards
- Documentation Guidance [PDF]
Key Changes in Standards
- New Format – presented in two parts; documentation requirements now organized in a separate guidance resource
- Standard – indicates the “must” outcome
- Requirement for Review – provides interpretations or explanations of the standard
- Divided each standard into discrete elements for clarification and determining compliance levels to help programs and the CAA to better distinguish compliance levels
- Limited content revisions, but added new section on Professional Practice Competencies in Standard 3.1.1A and 3.1.1B
- Added knowledge areas related to:
- Interprofessional education and interprofessional practice
- Supervision of support personnel
- Documentation Guidance [PDF]– outlines requirements and suggestions on how to document compliance with the standards. Although originally presented as part of the 2017 Standards document, this has been separated to provide a more dynamic resource over time
- Added a glossary to define key terms in standards
Work Plan and Timelines
The CAA developed a work plan and timelines for the standards review activities to keep stakeholders and relevant communities apprised of the CAA’s progress. The timeline is subject to change based on stakeholder feedback and Council progress, but provides a general overview of the next steps and completed activities for this process.
- January 2017: Published a new Application for Candidacy form for developing programs.
- March–April 2017: Updated accreditation reports to reflect reporting expectation for new standards. Developing/editing forms and worksheets to support data collection.
- May 2017: Published an updated Annual Progress Report for Candidacy Programs.
- May–June 2017: Conduct training for all site visitors on reviewing programs under the 2017 standards.
- August 1, 2017: Publish updated 2017 Standards after call for comment.
- Fall 2017: Conduct first site visits under 2017 Standards.