Accreditation Handbook—Chapter XIV: Standards Development and Implementation
The CAA has adopted Standards for Accreditation as necessary conditions for accreditation of eligible graduate education programs. Compliance with all standards represents the minimum requirement for accreditation, regardless of mode of delivery, including distance education. All CAA reviews and decisions, including candidacy, are based on the program’s compliance with the CAA’s Standards for Accreditation.
Standards Review Processes
As a recognized accrediting agency by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation, the CAA is required to conduct a comprehensive review of its standards on a periodic basis, and does so every 5 to 8 years. The CAA also may conduct an interim review on an as needed basis to provide clarification or to ensure continued compliance with recognition criteria.
Revised Standards for Accreditation—August 2017 Implementation
The CAA is pleased to release the revised Standards for Accreditation of Graduate Education Programs in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology. These new standards will become effective August 1, 2017.
Important Highlights of 2008 Standards
- Administration and Governance (Standard 1.0)
- Faculty (Standard 2.0)
- Curriculum: Academic and Clinical Education (Standard 3.0)
- Students (Standard 4.0)
- Assessment (Standard 5.0)
- Program Resources (Standard 6.0)
- General Information
Standards Compliance Trends
The CAA is responsible for evaluating the adequacy of an applicant program’s efforts to satisfy each standard. In light of the CAA’s mission to encourage continuous quality improvement among its accredited programs, the CAA summarizes compliance trends with accreditation standards of master’s programs in speech-language pathology and clinical doctoral programs in audiology, and publishes a summary of these trends and most frequently cited standards annually.
- 2016 Summary – Applications for Initial and Continued Accreditation; Annual Reports
- 2015 Summary—Applications for Initial and Continued Accreditation; Annual Reports
- 2014 Summary—Applications for Initial and Continued Accreditation; Annual Reports
- 2010-2014 Summary—Applications for Initial and Continued Accreditation