Accreditation Handbook—Chapter XIV: Standards Development and Implementation
The CAA is pleased to release the revised Standards for Accreditation of Graduate Education Programs in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology [PDF]. All changes will become effective August 1, 2017.
The CAA presents the following implementation schedule based on the accreditation status of the program, type of report expected to be filed in 2017, and typical time lines for review and decision.
|Type of Report||2017 Due Date||Standards for Submitting Report||Standards for Decision|
|Annual Report||February 1||2008: Online reporting system will |
open October 1 for February 1
(Initial & Reaccreditation)
|February 1||2008 and 2017: Online reporting|
system will open October 1 for
February 1 submissions.
Programs will address 2008
Standards at that time, but
additional information will be
required by the time of the Fall
2017 site visit to address 2017 Standards.
|Annual Report||August 1||2017: Online reporting system |
will open April 1 for August 1 submission.
|Accreditation Application||August 1||2017: Online reporting system will |
open April 1 for August 1 submission.
|Annual Progress Report||February 1||2008||2008|
|Annual Progress Report||August 1||2017||2017|
|Application for Candidacy Status||Beginning January 1, 2017||2017||2017|
Key Changes in Standards
- New Format – presented in two parts; documentation requirements now organized in a separate guidance resource
- Standard – indicates the “must” outcome
- Requirement for Review – provides interpretations or explanations of the standard
- Divided each standard into discrete elements for clarification and determining compliance levels to help programs and the CAA to better distinguish compliance levels
- Limited content revisions, but added new section on Professional Practice Competencies in Standard 3.1.1A and 3.1.1B
- Added knowledge areas related to:
- Interprofessional education and interprofessional practice
- Supervision of support personnel
- Documentation Guidance [PDF]– outlines requirements and suggestions on how to document compliance with the standards. Although originally presented as part of the 2017 Standards document, this has been separated to provide a more dynamic resource over time
- Added a glossary to define key terms in standards
Work Plan and Timelines
The CAA developed a work plan and timelines for the standards review activities to keep stakeholders and relevant communities apprised of the CAA’s progress. The timeline is subject to change based on stakeholder feedback and Council progress, but provides a general overview of the next steps and completed activities for this process.
- Summer 2016: The CAA will develop an implementation schedule for the new standards. This schedule will include training site visitors, providing technical assistance to programs, updating accreditation reports as needed, and developing new templates and guidance documents.